Winners of the 2022 Korean Youth Honor Society Essay Contest > 공지사항

본문 바로가기

공지사항 Notice

Winners of the 2022 Korean Youth Honor Society Essay Contest

페이지 정보

작성자 디렉터 댓글 0건 조회 15,354회 작성일 22-10-10 15:25

본문

Congratulations to the Winners of the 2022 KYHS Essay Contest!

2022 THEME: What makes leaders reliable?

1st Prize: We don’t have 1st prize winner this time.

2nd Prize: Claire Lee (Yongsan International School of Seoul, 10th)

Judge’s Comment:
1. This essay was nicely organized. It had a coherent beginning, middle, and ending.
2. I liked the use of historical citations. It helped engage the reader with solid examples of leadership.
3. This author follows the simple rules of say what you are going to say, say it, and say that you said it.
4. It’s also good that you used a national and international example. Well done.
5. I liked the conclusion and agreed on the focus of leadership.
6. I have toured the site of the 9/11 memorial site.  It is deeply moving.  This citation reminded me of that tour and the courage it must have taken to keep going up those stairs. https://youtu.be/AkJ0K0IBOA4
7. This essay also reminds of the tenets of Taekwondo: courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control and indomitable spirit. Seems like they are also good rules for leadership.
8. Sometimes I wondered if the first word you were looking for was reliable. It’s not so much that leaders are reliable, but that leaders are made up of multiple qualities including reliability. So the first insight could have been, what are the qualities that make up a leader?
9. This essay also reminded me of the South Korean Soldiers I saw two weeks ago on a fundraising hike. They had fought in the Vietnam war. Though nearly 80 years old, they all showed us how to be reliable leaders by setting the pace.

3rd Prize: Soyeon Shim (Chad wick International, 9th)
Judge’s Comment:
1. I like how you took on the idea that leaders have to give the best example. If you want people to follow, you must show them the sacrifices you are willing to make.
2. I also tell the people that work for me that I am not ashamed to do any of their jobs.
3. Leadership includes getting my hands dirty at times. Nothing is too small for me to do. I try to lead by quiet example.
4. You brought forward a unique example of how leaders connect with their groups.  It is the core thought that I liked about this essay.  Leading by example is vital to being a good leader.
5. I think it would help you to read any essay aloud to a friend.  An essay should tell a story.  While this one has good ideas, it doesn’t have a strong sense of telling the story. Reading it aloud will reveal its lack of cohesion. Start and finish strong with action based sentences. Use your active voice versus a passive voice. When you read it aloud, you will notice the more passive voice and the start and end. Many are leaders, but good leaders are strong and set good examples.
6. One hears many times about culture.  Culture in a class, team or company. The leader sets the culture of how things work.  If they work hard, others will follow that example. That company or team will have a strong culture to succeed.

* Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in October 2022.

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.